This blog has nothing to do with a fact that I need money and I'm determined to earn it online. The amount of ads placed all over it is completely incidental and I have no idea how they got here in the first place. I'm totally not trying to sell space and writing skill to the highest bidder and I am disgusted by all sorts of marketing strategies and manipulations. If you share those interests and think we may have something to offer each other, read on.

Sunday 26 June 2011

Window sill gardening

I've never been much of a green person, but this spring something had changed.  Suddenly I wanted to grow something, and this desire quickly grew into this giant monster, nagging me from the inside and screaming:  Grow!  Grow!

Might have been the aftermath of various slow living blogs I tend to read from time to time, or maybe it was only the fresh spring air.  Whichever is correct, I simply couldn't resist.

Now, it's not easy to move from a non-grower into a grower.  Oh, getting seeds and pots is easy enough, the main obstacle is psychological.  Let me give you a few examples of thoughts that thrashed around my head at this time:

-  me, growing something?  Nah, it will be dead before it even sprouts

- oh, and where do you want to grow it?  Living in an apartment on the third floor?

- come on, you have no cash

- you know NOTHING about growing stuff.  Right?

- growing stuff is not cool.  My friends will laugh

Etc., etc.

Fast forward over four months, and here I am now, with a beatiful, green balcony garden for pennies and the absolutely satisfying ability to sneak there even in the middle of the night to pinch a few herb twigs for a salad or to simply smell flowers in the rain.

How did I manage to do that?

For a short answer - travel here.

For long - here.