This blog has nothing to do with a fact that I need money and I'm determined to earn it online. The amount of ads placed all over it is completely incidental and I have no idea how they got here in the first place. I'm totally not trying to sell space and writing skill to the highest bidder and I am disgusted by all sorts of marketing strategies and manipulations. If you share those interests and think we may have something to offer each other, read on.

Wednesday 6 July 2011

An Ode to Polish Sausage

Sometimes writing about humble food is difficult when you want to scream and change the world but oh well.  I'll scream some other time, ok?

I am Polish by birth and have been eating Polish sausage my whole life.  I was never particularly impressed - how can you be impressed by something so obvious?  Always on hand?  Then a few years ago I moved to Ireland.  Since then Polish shops cropped up everywhere and getting Polish meat on the Green Island is no challenge anymore, but at the beginning I simply couldn't find it anywhere.  I visited my family about two years after the big move and guess what - I nearly cried when I opened the fridge.  Forget sweets and all other delicacies, sausage was what I craved most. 

Inspiration for this article visited me when I was eating my fried sausage dinner one day - it was so damn good and suddenly I thought - why not write about it?  I took it really seriously and during my next shopping trip bought all the props needed for a decent photo shoot - thin, dried sausage, medium versatile sausage, large sandwich sausage...  That was a good week, believe me. 

Polish sausage is a piece of art, full stop.  I am yet to try something better in this department.  If you have a chance to buy some - go for it, you will not regret it.  If you need a little guide to learn how to make your choice in the sausage world - go read my article

And bon appetit!