This blog has nothing to do with a fact that I need money and I'm determined to earn it online. The amount of ads placed all over it is completely incidental and I have no idea how they got here in the first place. I'm totally not trying to sell space and writing skill to the highest bidder and I am disgusted by all sorts of marketing strategies and manipulations. If you share those interests and think we may have something to offer each other, read on.

Friday 15 July 2011

How to turn your garbage into a garden

My garden grows mostly in plastic cola bottles, cut in half.  There is also a few plastic fruit punnets, a milk carton or two (three?  four even?), some profitrole boxes and, until recently, my strawberry seedlings were developing vigorously in a rectangular plastic thing that once held carrot cake.  With cream cheese frosting. 

See, so far I'm only flirting with gardening love.  I'm quite not sure if we'll stay together for life or is it just a one-year stand.  Totally conscious of this fact, I thought it foolish to splash out on tens (if not hundreds) of pots and pans from gardening centre.  Being permanently broke might have added something to the equation, yes. 

When you think of requirements for a growing container, what do you need?  It needs to be reasonably waterproof.  With a bottom easy to pierce through (whatever you may think, drainage IS important - I've learnt it the hard way).  It needs to be fairly big - my experiments of growing radishes in empty egg boxes did not bring satisfactory results.  There's a few more requirements but after I've considered them all, the solution presented itself like a good old revelation - GARBAGE BAG!  Plenty of good growing pots there.

Primo - plants grow like crazy (see a picture if you don't believe).  Secundo - I'm being green, prolonging life of all sorts of rubbish bits for those few months and not adding to the already overflowing landfills.  Tertio - I haven't spent a penny.  Nothing, nada, it all came my way totally free. 

I call it a good deal.  How about you?