This blog has nothing to do with a fact that I need money and I'm determined to earn it online. The amount of ads placed all over it is completely incidental and I have no idea how they got here in the first place. I'm totally not trying to sell space and writing skill to the highest bidder and I am disgusted by all sorts of marketing strategies and manipulations. If you share those interests and think we may have something to offer each other, read on.

Monday 18 July 2011

How to make great coffee

Coffee and me go back a long time and our relationship has been pretty stormy.  There was a time, good few years ago, when coffee was not enough - I implemented the daily intake of caffeine with 3-4 energy drinks which (you can probably guess) only left me poorer and craving for more.  There was a long period of rather bland, boring, but oh-so-quick instant coffee - two spoonfuls of coffee powder, two of sugar, fill half with water and half with milk, drink by the bucket. 

Then there was another time when I divorced my coffee completely - I was on 3-4 cups of coffee during an office day and it made me feel invariably awful.  For a short while I've become an anti-caffeine zealot, not only abstaining from drinking any, but also preaching near and far on eternal damnation unless you quit NOW.  I do tend to be weird.

Then two things happened and suddenly coffee stopped being a menace.  My days in the office were over, and so was constant stress that goes arm in arm with corporate employment.  And I discovered the French press. 

Instant coffee is a thing that happens to me very rarely these days and I don't miss it one bit.  Now, the glorious, pitch-black liquid that pours out of my French press each morning.... Mmmmm...  I don't get out of bed without it (not for longer that it takes to make it, that is).  It's not even the caffeine (although I did read that the content is disctinctly higher than that of the instant mud) - it's a feast for the senses.  Taste, smell, bitterish smoothness warming my mouth - it was an instant addiction.  Trust me, there is no better coffee than French pressed coffee*.  Try it out. 

*Ok, pressure brewing may rival French press.  But it's a question of spending 10 bucks versus 1000 bucks...