This blog has nothing to do with a fact that I need money and I'm determined to earn it online. The amount of ads placed all over it is completely incidental and I have no idea how they got here in the first place. I'm totally not trying to sell space and writing skill to the highest bidder and I am disgusted by all sorts of marketing strategies and manipulations. If you share those interests and think we may have something to offer each other, read on.

Monday 11 July 2011

Chocolat

Do you remember the movie Chocolat, starring Johnny Depp and Juliette Binoche?  I believe that it made quite a stir when it came out back in the year 2000.  Definitely from the 'light and pleasant' shelf, yet with this particular kind of magic that makes watching it an unforgettable experience...

Hah, did you notice what a smooth liar I'm becoming?  I actually didn't like the movie that much.  It was ok, I guess, with Johnny Depp looking stunning as always but not quite reaching the top of his acting abilities, and Juliette being as far as possible from the way I imagined the book's heroine.

Because oh yes, there was a book. While the movie didn't massacre it entirely, it didn't do it justice (as it so often happens).  The original Chocolat story, written by Joanne Harris (with her other books being quite worth checking out as well), can boast of having one of the most elegant and wise happy end I've ever seen which is to the movie's ending as Sahara is to Arctic.  Don't let the film industry rob you of this treat!  Go and grab the book!  Now! 

Can I use this opportunity to remind you that there are things called libraries in the world and you don't necessary need to buy it?  You may want to, eventually (I ended up with having a copy even after I've read it), because it's a rare kind of books that can be read more than once.  On the other hand, you may not, and my smart advice (modesty first, always!) can save you space, money and trouble.

If you want to find out more about the book, go and check my review on Squidoo - it's fairly decent.

Oh, and the sequel is not half as good.  Sorry, Ms Harris, but you skipped the unconventional (= not sugared up the American style) happy ending bit, and I can't forgive that.