This blog has nothing to do with a fact that I need money and I'm determined to earn it online. The amount of ads placed all over it is completely incidental and I have no idea how they got here in the first place. I'm totally not trying to sell space and writing skill to the highest bidder and I am disgusted by all sorts of marketing strategies and manipulations. If you share those interests and think we may have something to offer each other, read on.

Tuesday 31 May 2011

How much can a website earn?

I have stumbled upon an interesting website today.  Basically it's a web traffic/revenue analyser.  You type in any URL, and it gives you basics stats, like visitors a day, ad revenue a day etc. 

I popped in few addresses just to get a feeling for how it works and made interesting discoveries. 

Your website needs to be really, really big to make you a decent money.  Just to give you an example - a website getting 4800 visitors a day and full of ads has an earning potential of 22 dollars. A day.  Yearly it adds up to something like $8000.  Oops.

See, a website needs to be really good to attract 5000 visitors daily.  REALLY.  This blog, so far, has got something like 80 visitors altogether.  5000 a day seems far, far beyond the horizon. 

I guess I would need to write something like 20 posts daily, all about hot, hot topics, plus have twenty other income sources to survive, not even mentioning any surplus money.  How sad is that?

But hey, yeah, everybody promises you millions from the web, within weeks sometimes, stick to it, dead reader.  It's so good to dream.