This blog has nothing to do with a fact that I need money and I'm determined to earn it online. The amount of ads placed all over it is completely incidental and I have no idea how they got here in the first place. I'm totally not trying to sell space and writing skill to the highest bidder and I am disgusted by all sorts of marketing strategies and manipulations. If you share those interests and think we may have something to offer each other, read on.

Saturday 4 February 2012

There shall be NO Valentine story

Drat, it's happening again.  Another highly marketable 'celebration' coming up and I'm scared to open my fridge again, the likelihood that someone in heart-covered suit will jump out and try to sell me something being so high.  All the local shops are invaded by various shades of red and pink, all the headlines include the V-word and it looks like other things simply don't exist anymore - if it's not heart-shaped, it doesn't count.

Yuck.

Love is beautiful and sweet and probably the most important thing in every individual's life, agreed.  But what gets me frothing are people who pretend to glorify love while manufacturing monuments to - yeah, you've guessed it - moneymaking.  I suppose love of money can be just as strong as any other love or can it?  Is it just me or something stinks in the whole enterprise? 

When it is not about the money, it's cheesy as hell.  I've seen some appeals to 'share your personal love story' recently.  Oh my.  I'm sure your love story is unique to you, special, precious, blah blah, but to me (and countless other Internet users) it is hardly interesting and painfully cheesy.  I've read a few such concoctions in my time and well - I will never make this mistake again. 

And I will most certainly not share mine.  Love is special, unique, precious - because it is INTIMATE, PRIVATE, PERSONAL, it is some amazing magic shared between me and the Other.  None of this things goes hand in hand with hundreds of strangers reading it, judging it and commenting upon it!!!! 

So no, there shall be no Valentine story today, or any other day.  There shall be patient counting the days down until the madness subsides...

...and Mothering Day craze begins.  Or Paddy's Day.  Or any money-generating 'celebration'.