This blog has nothing to do with a fact that I need money and I'm determined to earn it online. The amount of ads placed all over it is completely incidental and I have no idea how they got here in the first place. I'm totally not trying to sell space and writing skill to the highest bidder and I am disgusted by all sorts of marketing strategies and manipulations. If you share those interests and think we may have something to offer each other, read on.

Wednesday 4 January 2012

Something to brag about

Aah, finally some recognition.  One of my (gorgeous, fabulous and absolutely fantastic, obviously) lenses has made it to the top 100 of 2011 and then was voted even further, to the top 11.  The fame!  The pride!  The glory!  The traffic...

The lens in question is titled 50 things you can do to improve the world and is a shameless example of writing something that people will like.  Or, a skillful compromise - my real thoughts stripped of all the cynical nastiness.  If the world was a nice place, the lens would be 100% honest and truthful.  I wonder, does applying some inner censorship makes a piece of writing dishonest?  Or maybe I simply was a good girl for suppressing my inner anger at the world's injustice and believing for a second that the said world is worth the effort of saving it? 

Anyway, it was awesome to feel seen and appreciated for those three days or so.  Traffic was fantastic, feedback very encouraging and overall it felt great.  

It is less great to see my five minutes of fame slowly passing by but hey - c'est la vie.  I might even keep the rank high enough to actually earn some money off it. 

Funny, when you think about it - obviously the lens is good, it wouldn't be chosen if it wasn't.  Yet so far, in 6 months of its exinstence, it has earned a staggering $0.87.  Just makes you think how Squidoo (and the Internet in general) work...