This blog has nothing to do with a fact that I need money and I'm determined to earn it online. The amount of ads placed all over it is completely incidental and I have no idea how they got here in the first place. I'm totally not trying to sell space and writing skill to the highest bidder and I am disgusted by all sorts of marketing strategies and manipulations. If you share those interests and think we may have something to offer each other, read on.

Saturday 19 November 2011

Christmas. Rubbish.

Blah, it's that time of the year again.  Jingle damn bells and purses, buy, buy, buy, all in the name of our saviour.  Yuck.

You know, I can quite live with Christmas itself.  It lasts ONE DAY (say two if you will.  Say three.  Say even twelve, it's still far far away from what we're being served in all public spaces - if, due to salespeople of this world, Christmas starts on November 2nd, by the end of the month I'm sick of this stupid holiday and by the day itself I get a rash at the very sight of a Christmas tree.  It's all your fault, Mr. Salesman!).  It means  mainly spending some time with my close family, with bloody good food in the background, with a possible walk along  the blissfully empty streets later on.  Fine by me.  But...

I don't get excited by the whole show.  I mean, what's so damn special about stupid tinsel (or holly, or stockings or whatever is the coolest Christmas gadget where you live)?  I was happily buying the whole story until I was about 6 years old.  Then I moved on.  We live and learn.  At least, some of us do...

I'm the least likely person in the world to fall a victim of Christmas advertisers.  I'm simply bullshit-proof, at least when it comes to marketing, advertising and the likes.  Even if I wasn't - most of the stuff on offer is so terribly, painfully kitschy and crappy that I have trouble believing someone actually buys it.  Well, they do.  Whatever happened to you, dear world...  Anyway, if I'm committed NOT TO buy a thing before Christmas, why on Earth am I still bombarded with Christmas advertising?  (And I don't really care whether you disguise it as an 'informative article' or not.)  Why I cannot walk the street, visit a cafe or greengrocer's, read a paper, or check the Web without seeing or hearing Christmas advertising? 

Now, a few messages for the businesspeople out there:

1.  If I hear a Christmas carol coming from your shop, I won't enter unless I absolutely have to

2.  If you try to sell me the 'Christmas spirit' bullshit, you will authomatically get onto my 'avoid' list

3.  I will never buy anything marked as 'Christmas special'.  I KNOW you're trying to rip me off, sunshine.

I know many people who think and act likewise.  I will do my best to ensure there's more and more of them, so that they can spread the idea even further.

Consider yourself warned.